Wednesday, December 27, 2017

"Berkeley & St. James" pen & ink 9 x 6

We headed into Boston today, an appointment for my daughter.  I waited in the car while she had the appointment, then we spent some time shopping, walking in the cold Boston afternoon, having hot chocolate at Burdick Chocolates and enjoying the sights of this beautiful city as the late afternoon light shifted.  When I did the drawing, I felt the eye was drawn to the top of the steeple of the Church of the Covenant, because the lines were heaviest there.  That isn't what I wanted, so I added some emphasis along the street by adding some value to the people on the street and the window behind.  It moved the viewer's eye down lower, away from the steeple.  You can shift the focus of your design with minor adjustments to value, which create a change in interest.  
This is my eighty-seventh daily drawing.  Thank you for your continued interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment