Saturday, February 02, 2019

Day 488 "Westward a la Klimt" acrylic 10 x 8


The Girls Just Wanna Paint theme for January was "paint like Klimt".  My initial thoughts of Klimt are the beautiful and romantic figures entwined by their posture and also entwined with Klimt's decorative swirls, pattern, and vibrant color harmonies.  But, in my Klimt research, I saw a number of paintings where Klimt used geometric repetition and color shifts for landscapes.  Very appealing.  Recently, I sat and watched the sunset over our North River.  It was, as it often is, glorious.  The sun was reflecting its last light up into the clouds where it bounced back and forth until it was almost fluorescent.   Breathtaking.  

The light was so fascinating, I thought it would be interesting to interpret a la Klimt.  You can see my ink and colored pencil interpretation of the scene in a prior blog post here.  I began by blocking in the scene in acrylic in very muted color with the values dropped down.  Then I used circles of color, in varied intensities to move up through the sky.  I made some of the circles very warm, then gradually mixed them as warm/cool, then all cool as they moved away from the sun.  I added rectangles in the river to show the reflected light.  
This is my four hundred eighty-eighth daily drawing.  Thank you for your continued interest.  You know I love your comments.  

No comments:

Post a Comment