Tuesday, August 01, 2017

"Crystal Blue" oil 11 x 14

 Each of the last fifteen years or so I have spent some time on Monhegan Island, ME.  Our first two days here this summer have been sparkling, clear, dry, exquisite.  This is the view from our deck looking North. We are up high enough to see the sunset over the mainland, twelve miles distant.... heaven on earth.  

I began this painting by  blocking in the darks, and arranging the picture space with an ultramarine wash.   Then I  used alizarin crimson to wash in the shadow areas and cadmium orange for the lights.  You can see the painting in several stages here.
I concentrated on simplifying the brush strokes and cutting into the darks with the lights, then minimizing the details in the distance.  

This month's theme for Girls Just Wanna Paint is "bliss". This painting is my take on the idea because Monhegan is pure bliss for me. You can see all our blissful paintings  here.

As always, thank you for looking.  I love your comments.    

No comments:

Post a Comment