Monday, June 04, 2018

Day 241 "Value Study of The Desk by Fairfield Porter" 9 x 6 ink and marker

"The Desk" oil Fairfield Porter 1963
I have been thinking about Maine this week, so looked up some Fairfield Porter paintings.  His color and design are inspiring.  On initial inspection, his color application seems simple because he often painted in flat shapes with little modeling.  However, I look to his work as masterful in use of design, color and value.  I chose a 1963 Porter painting, "The Desk", to study.  It is a strong interior, with an open desk just off of the center of the composition.  There are papers and books scattered about as if someone just got up and  took a break from a lot of deep thinking.  I love the painting.  Here is my value study of this Porter interior. Look at how he handled the light outside, through the gauzy curtains, across the wood floor and along the coffee table, and skipping along the scattered paper on table and floor.  There are hints of interest.. on the desk, on the desktop, paintings on the wall... so subtle.  
This is my two hundred forty-first daily drawing.  Thank you for taking a look at my thoughts expressed visually.   

4 comments:

  1. I so admire your sketchy lines, Jody. And I found myself going between both paintings and finding those points of interest. And I really found myself wanting that desk!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Autumn. Sometimes I like studying an artist's work. Fairfield Porter's work is deceptive... looks so simple, but is very sophisticated. Look at the way he captured the light on the side of the desk... wow. And, I love the desk. I have my grandmother's desk which is somewhat similar.

      Delete
  2. What a great sketch Jody. You captured the values and the light so well. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debbie. I think his painting is so fascinating. Studying the values makes me appreciate it even more.

      Delete