Sunday, January 07, 2018

Day 96 "Lines of Thought at RISD" pen & ink 6 x 9

I had a chance to zoom down to Providence today to the Rhode Island School of Design Museum, sandwiching the trip between a busy morning, and delivering my daughter back to school in Boston this afternoon.  So glad we made the trip.  The "Lines of Thought" show is a collection of seventy drawings from the British Museum, each showing drawing as piece of the process of discovery.  Each drawing is fascinating.  I loved examining the individual strokes and gesture in each of the works.  And, I learned a lot.  I had no idea that Victor Hugo (Les Miserables, The Hunchback of Notre-Dame) rendered over 3,000 drawings.  It was wonderful to see Henry Moore's sketches for a piece commissioned by UNESCO for its headquarters in Paris.
Henry Moore at work
Here is a picture of Moore sculpting the UNESCO work.  
It was wonderful to see the beautiful and simple lines Rembrandt used to capture the gesture of families, and da Vinci's beautiful sepia rendering of Madonna and Child and a cat.  Each line is so important.  I found today's visit moving, thought provoking and a blessing.  
Victor Hugo 1857
I made a few small sketches of some of my favorite works in the show; clockwise from top left; del Sarto, Henry Moore, Victor Hugo, da Vinci, Comodi, Rembrandt.  
This is my ninety-sixth daily drawing.  Thank you for looking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment