Sunday, January 21, 2018

Day 111 "Sunny Patch" pen&ink 5 x 9

When drawing this patch of flowers, I concentrated on a few distinctive shapes, then used the rest of the space to construct foreground and background within the patch, using the group of flowers as reference for basic shapes.  I like the combination of sunflowers, black-eyed susans, and another type of smaller daisy-like flowers within the one patch, all yellow.  I  could spend more time adding more and more detail and depth.  The drawing becomes a sort of doodle, where the lines and shapes I add are in keeping with the feeling of the flower patch, but I add them where they work best.  This is the same idea I use when drawing the brownstones on Newbury Street in Boston.  The buildings are initially drawn from life, then I add the architectural detail around windows and doorway referring to here at this link.  
 This is my hundred eleventh daily drawing.  Thank you for your continued interest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment