Sunday, May 20, 2018

Day 229 "Practice a la Charles Reid" ink 9 x 12

I dug out this great book, "Portrait Painting in Watercolor" by Charles Reid from 1973.  It is packed with information, with some step by step instructions for painting individual facial features.  Today I tried painting a few mouths, using Reid's explanation.  Some are successful; some look like plucked turkeys, and the entire page resembles an Escher if glimpsed quickly.  It's a bit odd to see the disembodied lips, but I like and need the brush practice.  Will continue and see where it goes.  If you can pick up the book somewhere, I highly recommend.  
This is my two hundred twenty-ninth daily drawing.  Thanks for taking a look.  

2 comments:

  1. Jody I hope today finds your knee feeling ever better and you are getting up and about more than when I last commented. I love your daily paintings! The German building with the greenery is just lovely! I love seeing Fred the Wonder Cat hiding amongst the roses too. He is so cute! It took me a minute to realize I was looking at lips (I am a bit slow at times) but love that you are doing them, especially in an ink wash! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Autumn. Long way to go, but I'm getting there, thank you.
      I don't blame you for not seeing them as mouths right away... they look a little like birds, too, though a couple are achieving what I'm looking for.

      Delete