Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Day 199 "After Auster" 6 x 9 pen & ink

Over the years, I have kept a number of images of paintings that intrigue me, that I want to study in more detail, or that I just want to look at longer for the sheer enjoyment.  This pen & ink drawing is an exploration of the value shifts in this luscious Ken Auster painting.  I don't even know the name of the painting, nor where I grabbed it. The value and temperature shifts are so subtle and juicy and effective.   Just look at the man in the background, and the number of "white" colors there are between his hat, the newspaper and the items on his table.  Between about 1.5 values and some very subtle temperature shifts, the entire story is told.  Masterful.  This is my hundred ninety-ninth daily drawing.  Thank you for taking a look.

2 comments:

  1. oh yes, the painting is new to me and beautifully peaceful. And your drawing is just as nice, pencildrawings are far away from oil paintings. I like both in this case.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Susi. I think this Auster painting is just dreamy.... and can continue studying it again and again.

    ReplyDelete