Monday, August 13, 2018

Day 306 "Family Lunch" ink & watercolor 6 x 9


We spent a perfect vacation day, driving to Cape Cod to visit friends visiting from New Jersey for the week.  Great to spend time with them and their exuberant 15 month old grandson.  Then we went to lunch at Marshland, a favorite spot in Sandwich.  It is a small bakery, restaurant with a serpentine counter and about six booths.  While waiting for our food, I drew the crowd in the restaurant, and later added watercolor from my memory. One detail worth mentioning is the navy blue menu I added in front of the woman in the foreground.  I chose the dark color for the opportunity to cut in and define her neck and hand, for contrast, and to grab the eye.  I enjoy sketching public scenes, and deciding where to layer up the people from front to back.  I snagged a photo at the very end, just before the children in front of me collapsed onto the floor, looking for their dropped toy.  It's a good reminder that drawing in public provides a moving target. 
This is my three hundred sixth daily drawing.  Thank you for your attention.  

No comments:

Post a Comment