Friday, July 27, 2018

Day 292 "Among the Rocks" ink & watercolor 12 x 5 - and a visit with some artist friends

Social media is an interesting thing, and sometimes very beneficial.  Yesterday I saw some beautiful photos of the Monhegan sunset from down in the village as we watched it from up on our deck above the village.  Turns out they were posted by an artist friend of mine.  We didn't know the other was here, so happily connected this morning over coffee! She and her husband are Monhegan artists now living on mainland Maine, and are over for a few days.  
Check out their work:  Amy Williams Beers, and Kevin Beers.  
After catching up, I walked over to Dead Man's Cove to sit on the rocks and paint.  I love it there, the views are spectacular, and there is a small rocky island were the birds congregate noisily.  Their chatter makes a nice backdrop.  You can see from the photo below that there are lovely vistas including my favorite, Manana.  Today, however, as I sat down, I saw this intrepid weed.. maybe a thistle, not sure.  It grew straight up among the rocks, and cast a beautiful shadow beneath, and it caught my eye. The crispness of the shadow is a reminder how strong the sun is.  If I had this plant in a studio with a lamp casting the shadow, I would expect the shadow farthest from the plant to be softer-edged than the shadow closest to the plant as ambient light invades the shadow.  Not so with the sun; 93 million miles is the same as 93 million miles 8 inches, give or take.  
View from Dead Man's Cove
This is my two hundred ninety-second daily drawing.  Thank you for looking, as always.

No comments:

Post a Comment