Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Day 286 "Rainy Day" 6 x 9 ink & watercolor


We are back on Monhegan Island, where we spend a couple of weeks each summer.  Doesn't matter the weather; it is just wonderful to be here with friends and family.  This is an interesting year for me as I have a new knee.  Although we rented a golf cart in case, I am determined to use the walking here up and down hills as part of my physical therapy.  Last summer, my recently discovered arthritis prevented me from walking almost anywhere.  So, each day, I am setting a goal for myself.  It rained day 1, but slowed to a drizzle in the afternoon so we walked down the large hill on which our house resides, into the village to the coffee shop. It was the destination for a number of people.  We grabbed one of the handful of tables, watched visitors, listened to chit chat, had coffee and hung out.  What a treat!  I made a couple of alterations to the original painting.  You can see them below.  I differentiated between the Mom and daughter (playing backgammon) in the foreground.  In the original sketch, it was unclear what was happening in that human shape in the foreground.  I darkened the hair on the gray-haired woman in the back, because I felt her head was grabbing the viewer's eye... and why?   I added some warmth below the chins and necks of some of the people because it added depth, and I added a little indication of shadow here and there away from the light.  


Then we walked back up the hill!!!  Goal one achieved, and my leg felt tired but strong.  
This is my two hundred eighty-sixth daily drawing.  Thanks for your continued interest.  You know I love your comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment