Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Sunny Onions 12 x 9 oil

It promises to be an unseasonably warm and sunny day for November in New England.  I'll be teaching math today, but thought I'd post a demo I painted out in the sun on an unusually warm early spring day; well, maybe not-so-warm but that type of day you can't resist because the sun is bright, and the winter has been long, and maybe, just maybe, if you hunker down in a sheltered spot you'll feel more warmth than chill.  Maybe.  

We set up these glorious spanish onions on tables in the sunshine; to get the class accustomed to the rapid changes in shadow patterns outdoors. I loved the combination of reds, and the glowingly warm shadows; and the surprising Medusa-like quality of the design.  Generally speaking, my goal is NOT to have surprises in the design of a painting; I discover those as I make thumbnail sketches, and eliminate the unintended.  However, once in a while I get a surprise.  My students got the point; watched the shadows move; learned to block in the patterns quickly; and had great results.

$150 plus $10 s&h


4 comments:

  1. Of course your students had great results - they had a great teacher!! Love the smorgasbord of reds - YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the surprise of sprouted onions in a painting. Your work always includes three elements: strong colors; strong composition; and something you don't see every day, until you reveal it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the design Jody! Glad I wasn't in that class though....It looks as hard as the Indian corn you had us paint a couple of years ago. Always learning with you at the helm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hah, Julie! I remember Corn Day as an inspired idea. (It's the only painting lesson I've taught that lives on in infamy with its own named day.) The idea was similar; and those lovely Indian corn bunches nailed to the clapboards were fun and challenging to paint as their shadows shortened and morning became afternoon. I loved Corn Day.

    ReplyDelete