Sunday, April 03, 2016

"Saint Sulpice, Montreal" pastel and ink 18 x 12


A couple of weeks ago, we spent a quick couple of days in Montreal to listen to our daughter speak at a linguistics conference.  We hadn't been there in years, so it was a treat to get back, albeit quickly.  The weather was gorgeous, sunny, crisp, beautiful, creating great contrast in the streets of Old Town including this view up Saint Sulpice Street to Notre Dame.
I don't work in pastel,  but decided to give it a shot.  I drew the image using a bamboo stick dipped in black ink, and am in the process of painting in pastel.. sort of an exploration.  It's a bit of a mind bender for me because I usually work with a limited palette whether in watercolor or oil and create the colors I need.  This is a different process, and I'm trying to find my way... so exciting!  The painting is in process.  I chose toned paper that matches the undertones of the old town granite buildings.  We'll see where it goes from here.  Thanks for looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment