Sunday, June 23, 2013

"Hurricanes Hardly Happen" oil 10 x 10 ... and Eliza Doolittle

As you may have read, one of my favorite painting subjects is Manana, the small, relatively uninhabited island adjacent to Monhegan which creates its sheltered harbor.  (Someday, in my posts, I'll just say "Manana" without the explanation as though it's a component of everyone's vernacular as it is mine.) Each summer, I paint Manana from a few different vantage points, and am always excited by a new view.  "Hurricanes Hardly Happen" is my second painting of this view, commissioned by a friend who loved the original painting, "Hurricane Watch".
I wrangled with the name a bit... same subject, slightly different take, don't want to name it "Hurricane Watch II", "Hurricane Watch Jr", "Hurricane Watch Le Deux", etc.  Then, I heard Eliza Doolittle's voice in my head from "My Fair Lady" and knew the painting's name.  Don't you love "My Fair Lady"?   Click the link below to see a few seconds of its genius:

Eliza and Henry "Hurricanes Hardly..."

Heading back to Monhegan next week!  As always, thanks for looking and feel free to share. 

No comments:

Post a Comment