Sunday, October 09, 2011

Rockwell Kent, Monhegan, "Quiet Bell" 10 x 8 oil



While painting by the lighthouse on Monhegan one solitary, foggy morning this summer, I met an engaging twenty-something woman who had just hiked up that steep hill.  I admired her Rockwell Kent T-shirt, Moby Dick, I think.  We struck up a conversation and I learned that she was Rockwell Kent's great-granddaughter, on a day trip as part of her quest to follow in his footsteps. She spent a great day seeing the houses he built, and visiting the museum where they showed her the works in the archives donated by Kent himself.  You meet the most interesting people painting!  Adjacent is my painting from that morning.  

2 comments:

  1. What a great story Jody, and a an example of the "plein air experience." Not quite the same thing, but I met Santa Claus while painting on Broadway in South Boston...I know it's true because he gave me his business card! Met a lot of locals too, which truly enhances the experience. (btw, Love your painting of this scene also)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Paula. And, there are many times I wish I had Santa's business card in my wallet. Hah!

    ReplyDelete