Sunday, November 26, 2017

"Public Garden Fence" ink 6 x 9 and Boston Public Garden History


This morning, I made a quick sprint into Boston to drop our daughter off near the Public Garden for work.  This beautiful city is just coming alive around 8AM on a Sunday.  Sun shining, dog walkers appearing; friends and family gathered for a long Thanksgiving weekend are out, finding coffee, and relishing perhaps their last hours together before people go their separate ways.  I had a little time before needing to be back in the suburbs for church so I pulled up next to the Public Garden.  Have you ever taken a close look at the perimeter fence of the Garden?  I did today.  It is spectacular!  There are three different post designs which you can see in my photo here, and referenced in my drawing.  The three designs are related, but each is distinctive.  There is beading along the horizontal rail, and where each of the medium-sized posts intersects, the beading is accentuated with a bow-like addition to the beading.  
One of the joys of sketching the city is in discovering these sumptuous details in functional structures.  The Public Garden is filled with sculptures and monuments nestled in groves of trees and landscaping designed to highlight the art and to catch your eye.  But, the functional fences, gates, benches, lampposts are equally beautiful.  
As I draw the profiles of local buildings, my pen reproduces a cornice or ledge, or molding, which, on further inspection, reveals a beautiful detail, maybe stories above the street, where only birds have a close view.  I love the aesthetic.  I love the opulence.  I love that my drawing gives me the time for discovery.  My senses are activated.  As my eyes explore the shape and nuances of these structures, I feel as though I am touching them.... sort of visually tactile.  Is there such a thing?  
So, I did a little research into who designed the Boston Public Garden fence.  I'm still not sure, but an architect named Meachem won a design competition in 1859. The Garden itself was in disrepair in early 1970s when the Friends of the Public Garden and the Boston Parks Department worked to revive it.  At that time, the fence was recast from the original design, and replaced.  Here's a link to an article about the Boston Public Garden's History. 
This is my fifty-sixth daily drawing.  As always, thank you for looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment