Sunday, November 12, 2017

"Amadeus Live" 6 x 9 mixed #dailydrawing #urbansketchers

This afternoon we went to Boston's Symphony Hall to watch the Handel and Haydn Orchestra play live to the film "Amadeus".  It was astoundingly wonderful.  The orchestra and chorale accompaniment performed beautifully with the movie.  At first, I wasn't sure whether to watch the movie, or the performance, or how to alternate back and forth, but pretty quickly it became an easy balance of back and forth.  As everyone was getting settled I did a quick sketch of people moving to their seats and the orchestra tuning their instruments.  The concertmaster moved to the front for tuning, and just as the lights went down I grabbed the slightest indication of the conductor.  When I got home I added shadow to everywhere except for a few music stands and the movie screen itself.  
I have never seen this movie, though it came out over 30 years ago. It was breathtaking. However, I DID see "Amadeus" on stage.  When I first moved to Washington DC in my early twenties, I bought a subscription to The National Theater.  I was only twenty-two, didn't know much about this new city, and I bought the ticket series thinking it would be something on my calendar, and I could invite someone to each performance.  The first play I saw was "Amadeus", with  Ian Mckellen, Tim Curry and Jane Seymour.  Wow!  Having shared a room, albeit a big room, with Ian McKellen puts me in the gallery of greats with my daughter.
"Amadeus Live" is my forty-third daily drawing.  Thank you for continuing to look.

No comments:

Post a Comment