Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Day 535 "Still Light with Compote a la Matisse" pen, ink, marker


Image result for matisse still life compoteTonight, I was looking through images online, as I often do... exploring, and saw a few of Matisse's paintings of fruit in still life.  I like the arrangement of this one with the compote.  This is a value study.  You can see the painting below.  I like the textures and the values, and although the placement of objects provides depth, the modelling is still quite flat, and the value shifts are strong and mostly crisp.. This was painted in 1899, when Matisse was 30 years old.  His style shifted as the decades passed, including his paper cutouts in the 1920s and 1930s.  There is a consistency in the powerful, angular shapes that is very appealing.  
This is my five hundred thirty-fifth daily drawing.  As always, I appreciate your interest and your comments.  

2 comments:

  1. Fun! I like how you did the stippling in the background and side with continuous lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. The two patterns Matisse used in the painting were interesting complements and contrast to one another. One was more geometric and one more organic. I wanted to portray them as compatible but different. Thanks for noticing.

      Delete