Monday, December 11, 2017

"Cohasset Al Fresco" ink, pencil, marker 9 x 9

One morning this past summer, we had breakfast at a nice little cafe a couple of towns over.  While waiting on the street for our table, I saw this trio eating outside and was drawn to their silhouettes against the summer backdrop of colonial architecture and bright sky.  Initially, I designed the drawing without any indication of the overhead canopy, though I had it in my photo reference. It didn't really make sense to have the diners in the shade while the street was in the sun without explanation. I know it could have been the sun behind the building, or some type of overhang but decided to add my version of the awning.  One of the things I like about constructing drawings is that I can arrange the elements as I want.  I purposely organized the buildings behind the diners to bring the attention down and around the diners, to keep the design from looking like two separate environments.  I also moved the angles and intersections to avoid any unintentional tangents.  
This is my seventy-first daily drawing.  Again, thank you for looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment