Thursday, February 20, 2014

"Fishing" watercolor and ink 5 x 5

Back to my sketchbook during this long, gray, snowy winter.  I have a lot of source material from Monhegan Island, and am working on a series of images from the dock.  Everyday, there are young (and older) people on the dock passing the time in ways that hearken back to another era.  They fish, they read, they swim, and toss things, and just hang out. 
When I was a child, my parents owned a house on Cape Cod. We spent a month there every summer and commuted every weekend during the school year as well, at least for the first few years before sports took over our free time.  On the weekends, I spent hours sitting on the dock at the public beach nearby.  I would watch, listen, and absorb the rhythm of the waves below me.  These children on the dock remind me of those times.  I'm going to build on the series, and use these as studies for some oil paintings. 
In the spirit of the Olympics, check out this very short video I shot on the Monhegan dock a couple of summers ago.  You'll see what I'm talking about:


Thanks for looking, as always, I love your comments. 


1 comment:

  1. What a great painting. Love the sketch, an inspiration to do the work...

    ReplyDelete