Sunday, August 26, 2018

Day 317 "The Moon and Mars" pen & ink 5 x 5

 This has been an interesting week, as it is each summer.  The new school year is upon us, begins next week, and teachers went back for a couple of days of PD this week.  There is a lot of physical and mental energy that goes into the week.  And, the Marshfield Fair is in town.  I volunteer at the Fair and spend time there more than half of its ten days in town.  I use all the visual stimulation as a distraction and a counterpoint to all the school energy.  The other night, we arrived home after a day at school and a few hours in the glitz of the Fair to this scene.  Across the street, Mars and the moon hung together in the azure sky, the moon shyly behind a pine while Mars shone its red glow best as it could from 33.9 million miles (54.6 million kilometers) away.  Our moon is 238,900 miles from Earth.  (btw, as I typed "Earth" with a capital "E", I suddenly remembered an argument with my 3rd grade teacher who insisted the planets were NOT capitalized.  I was relatively new to this reading/writing thing, but took a stand, and was adamant that our solar system's planets were proper nouns and important enough to be capitalized.  After all, aren't they the proper names of places as in "persons, places, and things"?  He insisted, and I deferred to his authority in that moment, but not for a minute longer than 3rd grade lasted.)   
I was entranced by these two celestial bodies hanging together.  I captured it in pastel on a field of black ink in my blog for Day 316.  For today's drawing, I saw the scene as five values, and constructed them with two width black markers and line density.  Someone commented that it has and Edward Gorey quality... which brought to mind "The Gashlycrumb Tinies", an alphabet book in which each child meets a Victorian demise.   Click the link to see the Gorey video.
This is my three hundred seventeenth drawing.  Again, thank you for your continued interest.  

No comments:

Post a Comment