Sunday, August 02, 2015

"Christmas Cove Rocks" watercolor & ink 8 x 11

The southern tip of Monhegan Island is defined by beautiful, powerful, rugged rocks.  When staying on the island, I listen in the morning for the sound of waves from that direction, although I'm sure there is a much more accurate way of predicting interesting surf along the southern end of the island.  Perhaps wind direction... I don't know.  It's a small island, so I listen, and can hear the waves through the 1/2 mile of forest between me and the rocks.  Sitting on those rocks is absolute joy, all senses activated by the movement of surrounding air and water.  I wish I had a recording of the sounds accompanying the visuals.  I can hear them when I look at the painting, deep booms when waves crash into narrow crannies, splashing sounds of surf and spray on the rocks, and the silky withdrawal of the water back into the sea.

Thanks for looking (and listening)

4 comments:

  1. The way you've drawn the crashing waves is divine.
    I am such a fan of your sketches!
    Slam Bangin'!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary. So tricky to capture the movement of the place.. I plan to try again and again.

      Delete
  2. And your words so easily depict why I've always wished to live along the coast of Maine. That tempest of the sea... A beautiful painting, Jody!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crimson, I am so glad my words moved you. Thank you.

      Delete